Objective: To assess the risk factors in developing PCOS, creating awareness and limiting them by advanced patient counselling.
Materials and Methods: An institutional and community based randomized observational study was conducted over a period of six months.200 participants who met the inclusion criteria were included in the study. The data was collected using self designed questionnaire and suitable statistical analysis was done. Self made PCOS score was used to access the severity.
Results: Out of 200 participants included in the study, majority (22.5%) of the participants belonged to age group of ≥ 25 years. On analysis of PCOS state it was found that 110 participants (55%) were with the chance for getting PCOS (score 5-9), 64 participants (32%) were with High risk of PCOS (score≥10) and 26 participants (13%) were unpredictable to PCOS (score<5).Among 64 participants with High risk of getting PCOS, majority (17) of the participants were at the age of ≥25 years. Among 110 participants with Chance of getting PCOS ,majority (20) of the participants were at the age of 21 years and among 26 participants with Unpredictable to PCOS , most of the participants were at the age of 19 years .Out of 200 participants 25 participants were found with complications. Among them Infertility problems (52%) was found to be the major one.
Conclusion: The risk of PCOS increases with presence of one or more identified predisposing factors. Most of the factors tested as predisposing factors in our study are interlinked to each other and are mostly modifiable. Hence careful monitoring and proper management of identified predisposing factors not only delays but also helpful in adequate management of the disease.
Key Words: Poly cystic ovarian syndrome, Patient counseling, Infertility problems, Predisposing factors.